Narcissists shine brightly and magnetize us with their stories. They appear intelligent, able and confident on the surface. One thing that is for sure is we are attracted to their brilliance.
Below is a list of the nine criteria in diagnostic testing used to determine narcissism. Someone doesn't have to meet all nine criteria to be considered narcissists.
What Creates A Narcissist?
Somewhere in their past they were hurt deeply and compensate for the fracture in their psyche with their persona.
- professional ballerina
- professional model
- hair and makeup artist
- helicopter pilot
- government official
- expert mechanic
- professional artist
- clothing designer
- expert seamstress
- single-handedly wrote and won a million dollar grant upgrade for our town.
- a dog trainer
- a building inspector
- a real estate agent
- Has a grandiose sense of self-importance. No one is better at anything than them.
- Is preoccupied with fantasies (stories) of unlimited success, brilliance, power, or ideal love.
- Believes that they are "special, " unique and needs to only associate with the highest level people, institutions or classes.
- Needs constant admiration, fishing for compliments, ego-stroking and purrs when flattered.
- Has a sense of entitlement.
- Lacks empathy; it's always about their feelings but is unconcerned about hurting others.
- Arrogant, rude, haughty, abusive attitudes and behaviors.
- Believes others are envious of them; envious of others achievements. May feel victimized by others.
- Exploits others. Takes advantage of others to achieve own ends.
- They have very low self-esteem. Though they are experts and the best at everything, underneath they feel very small and extremely insecure.
- Drama seems to find them, or surround them.
- They are only lying when their lips are moving.
- They are highly reactive to criticism. They may constantly demean and criticize others but heaven forbid you should say one critical thing to a narcissist you might not hear from them for days or even weeks.
- They are better than everyone at everything.