Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Joy of Pleasure Seeking

By Jennifer Elizabeth Masters

Call me a hedonist! I have to admit that I love pleasure. 15,300,000 other people seem to be searching for it as well when I googled the term "pleasure." Perhaps that is why I am happy. I do my best to focus on the things that make me feel happy and fulfilled. 


I do what gives me that incredible feeling of pleasure, this is what many people call following your bliss. I travel at least five times a year, I spend time with my family whenever I can, I eat healthy foods and exercise daily. I do work that I love and I stopped trying to make others happy.


What is the definition of pleasure? 

Merriam Webster's definition of pleasure is:
 a source of delight or joy. A frivolous amusement, or sensual gratification. A further search using Bing suggested a happy feeling of satisfaction and enjoyment.


There is no doubt that pleasure raises our happiness quotient. Our brain is geared for pleasure. There are many ways we can experience pleasure; getting exercise, eating healthy foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, spending time with the people we love can also help to heighten our experience of pleasure. Sex also increases pleasure for us. Some people may feel that they aren't good at it, and resist having sex. Many people are only having sex occasionally, rather than regularly. Regular sex keeps us healthy, youthful and balanced.


Of course, the flip side is that relationships can be challenging. Some people may feel that their relationships don't make them happy. Their relationships might not bring them pleasure. If not, why not? 

I recently watched the movie, Hector and the Pursuit of Happiness. If you have not seen this movie, I highly recommend it. The movie chronicles a psychiatrist looking for happiness. 

Not only is the movie humorously done, but also a source of inspiration for those looking for it. "Hector" will help you recognize what you already have. The recognition of the good in your life can allow you to feel happier and give you increased pleasure. I agree with the premises in the movie. Seeking pleasure can bring you happiness and Vice Versa.


Different Ways To Experience Pleasure

My little dog Yoda in the very hot sand
Living in the desert can be an intense experience. In the middle of a  two-week, hundred degree plus heat wave I decided to take an impromptu trip to the beach.  I checked the air temperatures in San Diego and was thrilled to find temperatures there were in the low 70's. I booked my hotel through hotels.com and found a boutique hotel that was pet-friendly in Little Italy. 


My time at the beach, although short, recharged me, enlivened and excited me. I received many different types of pleasure there alone. I took myself out to dinner, had a great glass of wine and treated myself to Tiramisu, my favorite. Eating slowly is a sensual experience. Tasting our food slowly, savoring it, can be as sensual an experience as a massage for some of us.


Travel just about anywhere can be exciting. Taking a trip on a whim can be the most exciting. Travel details and planning can bog us down, create more stress, rather than give us the pleasure we seek. Being spontaneous and deciding the same day to go somewhere, without any preparation can give you a sense of excitement or adventure. The trip doesn't need to be lengthy to give you a rush of positive energy and happiness. A road trip can be just what you need to give you inspiration or your batteries a recharge. 



A trip out of town to a lake, mountain or ocean can bring you a new lease on life, ideas or inspiration. Water and sand ground us. We all need to get ourselves grounded, in touch with nature to recognize who we are, and enjoy the simpler things in life, like just being alive. Making love in a new place can also re-ignite that spark into your relationship. Camping is an inexpensive way to travel when you can swing it. 


The Regenerating Affects of The Ocean

Playing on the beach with my dogs gave me great pleasure. I walked along the soft sand, played in the water with my dogs and relaxed on the shore. The sound of the ocean, and just looking out over the water is in itself meditative. Salt water is healing. The

minerals and salt are restorative agents which cleanse our negativity, balancing our PH. I recommend bathing in salt water to many of my clients because of its healing effects.



Our Brain on Sex


A study in the Netherlands determined that both men's and women's brains react similarly during sex. The brain behind the left eye (lateral orbitofrontal cortex) shuts down, which is the seat of reason or behavior control. When you have an orgasm you lose control. There are some differences as we would expect. When women have
sex the 
periaqueductal gray (PAG) is activated. The PAG controls the flight or fight response. It is no wonder that women need to feel safe when having sex. Having trust for their partner also deepens a woman's experience of pleasure.

O-face

When women were asked to fake an orgasm the brain scan showed the part of the brain that controls movement was activated. Women actually having orgasms did not. Interesting that the brain registers the difference when we fake orgasm, our body does also.


The Scientists also said that men and women looked like people on heroin while in the throws of orgasm. Pleasure it seems, is the same. It does not matter whether the pleasure is from food sex or drugs.  Denying ourselves pleasure is also saying no to happiness. How do you deny yourself pleasure? I'd love to hear from you. Visit me on FaceBook and join the conversation.

Jennifer Elizabeth Masters is an author, life coach, hypnotherapist, and energy healer. She uses all of these tools and a few others in
her coaching practice. If you are ready to commit to being happier, more expanded and having happier relationships, set up your free session with her to work on an issue. This way you will be able to see if her work is a good fit for you.