A trigger is when a stimulus sets off a memory or flashback to the original event of trauma. We may have an emotional outburst that is inappropriate for the event. Our emotions are our internal guidance system setting of a warning siren in our brain when we are in an unconscious state.
In a moment we are standing in our parent's kitchen as a four-year-old child. When someone crosses a boundary or pushes an internal button, we react. Our emotions can be the only way that we recognize an unconscious trigger. Triggers, charges or pushing buttons is what we do to those who are closest to us, especially during family celebrations. Often we are on the receiving end and it doesn't feel very good at all.
|Triggers or buttons are a warning sign|
- sights that trigger an emotion from an old trauma
- sounds that remind you of an event where you were traumatized or abused.
- smells that remind you of an event that is unpleasant, powerfully traumatic or caused you panic or deep fear.
- touch that reminds you of an incident
- Do your best to set healthy boundaries.
- Recognize early signs that you are being triggered.
- Put a stop to the pushing before you explode.
- Know that you are reacting to something from the past. Ask yourself, "When have I felt like this before?" Was it your mother, father, sister, brother, abuser, spouse, babysitter?
- Avoid alcohol and drugs as they can cause you to be more volatile with little or no control.
- Forgive yourself for your reaction.
- Forgive the other person for causing your reaction.
- Have compassion for both of you.
- Know if you are the one yelling, you are the one with the issue.
- Blame doesn't support you. You aren't a victim.
- Look at the triggered reaction as a chance to heal the old wound and put it to rest
- Recognize when your emotions are rising.
- Breathe slowly and deeply. Focus on your breath.
- Tell the people around you that you need a moment.
- Talk about what just happened, calmly.
- Apologize if necessary for any emotions that were out of control. People who can't apologize for wrong-doing will soon be found out to be those with the biggest ego.
Do you live in Atlanta, Georgia, North Carolina or Tennessee? If so come see me live at The Inner Space Friday, October 7th at 7:00 PM - 9:00. Got triggers? Let's get them cleared. Saturday, October 8th, I am available for a few private sessions. Get yours today!
Contact Jennifer to book your private session or series to live the life you desire. Get started today!
Visit my FaceBook page to see other events as well.
Private sessions on Saturday.
Six Weeks Live Group Coaching With Jennifer
Payment options available upon request
Pay in full by October 5th and Receive the following:
Aphrodite Effect 3-hour audio and a 50-minute private session
with Jennifer a $200.00 VALUE!
©JENNIFER ELIZABETH MASTERS All Rights Reserved.
No part may be copied, or reprinted without the author's written consent.