Stress causes a slew of heath problems Some of which are of heart disease, depression and anxiety. According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 6 million full- and part-time American workers suffer from anxiety. Many of these 6 million have desk jobs. There are simple ways to alleviate stress most of which require you to get off your butt!
Once home, many people "unwind" by watching 2 hours of television (36 %) or playing an hour or two of video games a night (10%) while some get on their computers for an hour or more (29%). All of these activities can increase stress, rather than decrease it. Depending on the shows or movies you watch, action
adventure or thrilling movies can further increase your stress levels, rather than reduce it. Video games also can cause blood pressure and heart rate to rise. There are alternatives to sitting around after work that are better for you. A combination of meditation and movement will improve health, mood and reduce anxiety.
- Meditate daily. Daily meditation with visualization can reduce stress and anxiety. Begin your day with 20 minutes of silence,
- Take a walk with your four-legged friends, family or partner. Exercise reduces stress and eliminates anxiety. Being out in nature can shift your mood and emotions faster than anything you put in your mouth.
- Work out in a gym three times a week or more. Working out can boost endorphins making you feel good. The added benefit is that your body becomes healthier while your anxiety levels are reduced. You might have to get a license for those guns!
- Sex reduces anxiety and stress. Whether you have sex for one, or with a partner, having an orgasm releases feel-good hormones and will drop your stress level 50% or more.
- Use a mantra in the background of your mind while doing mindless tasks, like driving, changes brain waves from